If the only wine cocktail you know is a sangria recipe, read up. Reinvent your classic cocktail this summer with these six refreshing recipes that’ll enhance the natural flavours of your favorite wines, including our own Dievole Chianti Classico. With its tart yet spicy aroma, Chianti Classico wines are the way to go for some of the most exotic cocktails, starting off with a zesty Chianti Classico Margarita.
Chianti Classico Margarita
Recipe by Danzante
This summer you’ll be dying to try out this new take on the classic Margarita. Infused with the traditions of Chianti Classico, this red wine based recipe combines the sweetness of agave nectar with fresh, cool lime.
1 part of your favorite Dievole Chianti Classico red wine
2 parts tequila
2 parts triple sec
1 part agave nectar
2 parts lime juice
1. Fill blender with ice, and add ingredients. Blend until ice is crushed to a smoothie-esque consistency
2. Pour into a margarita glass on the rocks or in a pitcher. Cheers!
Raspberry Peach Rosé Punch
Recipe by Table for Two blog
Nothing says summer like sweet peaches and prosecco. This light and fruity punch adds the perfect touch to any cocktail party.
12 oz. frozen raspberries
2 cups peach nectar, chilled
1 bottle Rosato Le due Arbie rosé wine
1. Put the raspberries in a large glass pitcher, and top with the peach nectar and prosecco.
2. Add ice, stir, and serve cold.
Recipe inspired by Jay and Leah from The GastroNom Blog
When the heat of summer strikes, try these antioxidant-rich blueberry ice pops – just be careful, they go down a bit too easy. Perhaps a little too chilled to get the best out of a quality Chianti Classico but perfect for a fresh, fruity and well-bodied IGT Red.
Less than ½ a bottle of Toscana IGT like Le Due Arbie
4-5 Blueberries per popsicle mold
Basil Blueberry syrup (see below)
8-10 basil leaves torn into 4 pieces each
1/3 cup blueberries
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
Basil Blueberry simple syrup Recipe:
1. Combine all syrup ingredients in a saucepan over high heat. Boil.
2. Reduce to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Break up the blueberries, take off heat, and let cool.
4. Strain to take out basil pieces and blueberries.
Red Wine-sicle Recipe:
1. Place blueberries in popsicle molds of your choice.
2. Combine all liquids and pour into the popsicle molds.
3. Freeze for 8-10 hours. Buon appetito!
Pineapple Mojito Sangria
Recipe by kitchentreaty.com
This summer wine cocktail combines two summer favourites – what’s better than mixing mojito’s crisp minty flavour with a classic sangria recipe? Make it for your next big party. The fruity tanginess of white wine with rum, lemon, and pineapple with a hint of mint makes for a relaxing yet refreshing drink, best served under the Tuscan sun.
3 medium limes, thinly sliced
1 small bunch peppermint leaves, stripped (about 30 peppermint leaves)
⅓ cup granulated sugar
1 small fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut (2 cups diced)
750 ml bottle of Bianco Le Due Arbie white wine
½ cup white rum
¾ cup pineapple juice
4 cups lemon lime soda
Additional peppermint leaves and pineapple wedges for garnish
1. Muddle together the lime slices, peppermint leaves, and sugar in a pitcher.
2. Add the pineapple, wine, rum, and pineapple juice on top.
3. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 hours.
4. Add the lemon lime soda, ice, and a few chunks of pineapple to your glass and pour sangria over.
5. Garnish with additional mint leaves and pineapple wedge if desired.
Sparkling White Peach Sangria Recipe
Recipe inspired by Aubrey Cota
Cool off with a surprisingly energising white wine sangria recipe —the perfect refresher for a Saturday afternoon!
3 cups sliced peaches
2 cups raspberries
750 ml. Bianco Le Due Arbie white wine
1 cup peach schnapps
1 bottle champagne
1 cup simple syrup (sugar and water heated in a saucepan until sugar has dissolved and then cools)
Recipe: Serves 6 – 8; Takes 1 hr. to make
1. Add fruit to a large pitcher
2. Pour the wine, simple syrup, and peach schnapps into the pitcher. Stir.
3. Let the mixture sit for at least 1 hr. Or overnight in the fridge.
4. Pour equal amounts of the wine mixture and champagne into a glass when ready to serve. Enjoy!
Summer Solstice Chianti Classico wine Cocktail
Recipe inspired by Boulder Locavore blog
This delicious Chianti Classico cocktail combines the sweetness of bing cherries and ripe peaches with the zestyness of orange soda for near perfection.
12 bing cherries (pitted and halved)
½ peaches (very ripe, quartered, no pealing required)
8 oz. Dievole Chianti Classico DOCG Red
Italian blood orange soda (aranciata rossa)
Recipe: Serves 2
1. Combine cherries, peaches, and wine in a shaker or quart-sized jar. Muddle to release the flavors.
2. Add 5-6 ice cubes, shake vigorously until blended.
3. Fill 2 glasses with crushed ice, and pour the mixture.
4. Fill with blood orange soda
Article written with the contribution of Angela Sanders